Thursday, August 6, 2009

How FAR does promo go?

Perhaps the better question is: As a new author, how far will I go to promote my book? That's a fairly loaded question. When we sit down to write, does promoting even come to mind? I never considered it. Call me naive, but the bigger picture didn't make an impression on me. At first!

Simply writing a query letter can be intimidating. You have signed a contact, survived rounds of edits and the final galley. Now you're a trooper. Anticipation grows unbearable while you await the release day.

As a recently-published author, nothing held more satisfaction than having that hot-of-the-press book in my hands. Emotions spewed forth quicker than hot lava. And nothing frightened more than knowing I had to shove myself out there to promote what I had written.

Regardless of how the story poured out of me, that it turned into a novel meant I wanted an audience. An untapped realm of readers might find entertainment in my words. Many people who I'd never consider fans of this genre turned out to be lovers of juicy vampire tales.

But promo is a tough nut to crack.

It's downright hard to sell yourself. Actors know it. Musicians, costume designers, dancers and artists of all kinds know it as well. The creative side slams into the wall of harsh reality. But I want readers. So do you. I'll continue to explore every avenue and keep looking for new ideas.

Here's what I've found that works:

1. An article in the local newspaper ~ This led to a book signing at a popular coffee house. I followed up with an article to announce the event. The newspaper published that as well. The successful event led to being asked back - on Halloween (did I mention I write paranormal??)
2. Join legitimate writers groups to network with other authors, and a host of on-line groups to listen and learn from.
3. Book signing at my local writing chapter.
4. Always carry material to hand out ~ postcards, pens, and business cards
5. Participate in group advertising and take out affordable ads alone in smaller publications.
6. Have a web site and blog.
7. Join Facebook and create a Fan Page. (Feel free to become a fan!)
8. Use every contact imaginable and encourage others to write.
9. Create a presentation with fellow authors to showcase our books together.
10. Venture out of my comfort zone a little each time.
11. Follow some great blogs like http://dayanaknight.blogspot.com

Now for something I've not done before. Here's a little bit of Retribution!

Perhaps it was the purity and the power of the blood—along with the fact that a distance now existed between Michael and those he loved. No longer drinking the life force of Lukas or Alana, the blended blood was Georgian, the contribution of all twelve Council members. Michael had clarity.

His eyes shot open at dawn, not needing to look at the alarm clock beside him. Alana still slept, lost in happy dreams. She lay curled to his body, safe and secure. As if Michael had willed Alana to turn, she sighed, head resting on the pillow. Her arm flung across the empty side of the bed. He slipped out from beneath the satin sheets… No sound, no disturbance to the lovely woman beside him.

After a quick shower, he pulled on the sweats and shrugged on an undershirt still hanging behind the bathroom door from last night. Standing at the sink, Michael picked up his toothbrush, the one Alana had purchased in Pisa the other day. The habit was hundreds of years old…An absentminded glance in an empty mirror as the vampire ran firm bristles back and forth over even white teeth. But this time, he stared in disbelief. A cloudy image peered back—one that hadn’t been seen in centuries. High cheekbones, straight nose, square chin and strong brow were unmistakably his. Leaning into the mirror, Michael couldn’t see his eyes clearly, but it was his reflection, something lost the night he’d been turned. The one thing that sets me apart from humanity, he thought, one thing that should be lost forever. The image fascinated, but also frightened. One more secret I must keep from Alana—for now.

Promotion is still the scary beast. I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts, so please leave a comment. Thanks for stopping by today.

13 comments:

Hywela Lyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hywela Lyn said...

Oh you're so right about promotion being a 'scary beast'. I think it's even harder here in the UK, we don't have the numerous confences and promo opportunities there are in the US.

I've a stack of postcards, booksmarks and brochures, but finding ways of getting them out there is not so easy, and although my books are in print as well as EBooks, British readers are, on the whole, happier going into a bookshop to buy their books than ordering them on-line. Still I am trying - and learning as I go along!

M.Flagg said...

And what a learning process it is, right? You write so beautifully. We'll just have to find a way to get the UK up to speed. That goes for conferences, too!

Thanks for stopping by, Hywela. It is always a pleasure.

Tori said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the process. The business side of being a novelist requires a completely different mindset, skill set, and approach. It's really interesting to hear what you're finding both challenging and successful.

Emma Lai said...

Great excerpt! Promo is daunting, but you've offered some excellent suggestions!

Mary Ricksen said...

My advise is blog, blog, blog. Reach as many as you can. Readers read the blogs.
It's the poor mans promo tool.

Debra St. John said...

Promotion IS a scary thing. I know when I first got published I was over-whelmed with all of the opportinities available out there. What to choose? How much time to spend on it? How do I keep track of what brings the best returns?

It's been over a year now and it's still scary and I'm still learning. Thanks for the tips.

Dayana said...

Wonderful advise Mickey. And you are so sweet:) Thank you so much for the compliment and gracious plug!

I've done many things in the name of promotion and also overdone some things which cost monies I didn't have so one piece of advise I will insist upon is do what works for you. Do not go out and buy a thousand beautiful announcement cards and envelopes to the tune of $350 for you first book--umm humm. Yeah, I did it!

Still have the box of postcards as well the envelopes. My cover changed and now the book has been pulled to resub elsewhere. Lesson learned.

Be sure to work within your means. And work it where and whenever you can. Talk yourself up! Be proud, stand tall. Anybody can write a book but not everybody can get that book published.

D~

Christine Clemetson said...

Great ideas about promotion, Mickey! It does feel daunting sometimes, but you gave some places to start.

Thanks for sharing a great blog!

Christine

M.Flagg said...

I'm going to do a huge group THANK YOU!!! I don't blog often because of time constraints. And often, I don't have much to say.

So many excellent points brought up here, I may have to split this post.

I truly appreciate all of you taking time out to leave a comment.

M.Flagg said...

Tori, you bring up a good point about the business side. I'd like to hear more about that mind-set. Please stop by again!

Emma, I like your blog enjoy my visits there. I'm glad you liked the excerpt.

Mary, that's an excellent comment. It is a poor man's promo. I never saw it that way.

Debra, a point well taken. I find myself thinking of different ways to get the word out there instead of writing. I'm glad I'm not alone in my feelings about it. Please stop by again.

M.Flagg said...

I appreciate the wise tips, Dayana. Learning many things from reading your blog. What great advice about staying within your means. $350!!! Oh no... But that first book just takes you over the top with wishes and dreams.

Your last paragraph should be copied and handed out to every debut author. It hits home!

M.Flagg said...

Hi Chris. It's always great to hear from you! We've discussed 'daunting' many times :)
Drop by any time - Mickey