Sunday, June 21, 2009

Is that the sun I see?

If you live in my area of the US, you know that it has felt like we've been under the 'Noah's Ark' alert. Weeks and weeks of rain! Finally, today it feels like June. Of course, now we'll be sweating at school - just in time for the 8th grade moving on ceremony this week. As a music teacher, rehearsals can be just plain cruel during hot, sticky days. But odd as it may seem to some, I love my students and I'm actually looking forward to leading Summer School for all of July (please don't throw anything or say 'yuck', 'cause I do enjoy the kiddies - a lot!).

While in New Haven two weeks ago, the weather reminded me of London. Those without umbrellas handy had that "left out" look on their faces. I traveled to Yale University to accept a Distinguished Music Educator Award (Yale Symposium on Music 2009). 50 music educators from across the US got to network, discuss, and dialogue on two important subjects. Of course, I bragged about my students at this prestigious event. And I had my umbrella :)

But coming home from a writing workshop yesterday, the NJ Turnpike was nothing less than a hazy, frightening road. The windshield wipers have been on full blast more times than I can count since the middle of May! The only good coming from this is the brilliance of the flowers, the deep green of the thick forest, and the happy ducks paddling away in the new pond next to my house. Ah, the simple pleasures...

But rainy days are great for curling up with a good book :) And what would an author's blog post be without some shameless promo?

Take a peek at the latest review: Retribution! [The Champion Chronicles: Book One] by M. Flagghttp://longandshortreviews.blogspot.com/2009/06/retribution-champion-chronicles-book.html In case you're wondering, my main character, a pretty hot vampire, will find a few more bumps in the road to redemption in Consequences, Book 2 contracted with The Wild Rose Press.

I'm also delighted to announce that my book's available for purchase at The Fine Grind in Little Falls, NJ Rte. 23 South. This wonderful coffee shop has made me their paranormal author, and on Saturday July 25th, I'll be signing books and chatting with the customers. Please stop by for an outstanding cup of coffee from 10 am till Noon if you can.

Check out http://www.dayanaknight.blogspot.com/ Some wonderful authors will be guest blogging during July. I'll be there on Monday, July 20th.

Oh no. Cloudy again. Anyone for a chorus of "Rain, rain, go away...?"

And if you made it all the way to the end, please leave a comment. I will put all the 'commenters' into a hat to win a free copy of Retribution! to read on a rainy day, of course!

Stay dry! - Mickey
http://www.mflagg-author.com/

11 comments:

Anne Carrole said...

This is good vampire weather, Mickey! Congrats on the review!:)Redemption is a great lead in to the series!

Kim said...

Hi Mickey!

I loved your latest blog. I'm originally from New Jersey so I know the turnpike well, and I live in CT and spend lots of time in New Haven! Congratulations on your award. That is quite an honor!!

All the best,
Kim

Christine Clemetson said...

Hi Mickey!
Great post and great review!! And that's wonderful about your book being in the Fine Grind. :)))))
Congratulations!
Chris

Unknown said...

Mickey-Vampires? Hmm, never read one, but they are certainly popular. Your blogspot looks very nice, and I enjoyed reading about NJ weather--the topic of rain drew me in. You see, I live in Central Texas, and we're in the midst of a long drought, and the temperature reaches 100 every day, except today and tomorrow the prediction is 102. So, I stay in with air conditioning cranked up, and read and write. Congratulations on the award!!Celia

Kathye Quick said...

Don't vampires like it when it rains and there's no sun? LOL

Good luck with the book and the signings!

M.Flagg said...

Hi ladies. Thanks for stopping by. Anne, I agree about the vampire weather. And congratulations on turning "pro" although you already are one! I loved "Re-Ride at the Rodeo".

Kim, I loved the history in New Haven! Those old buildings at Yale just drew me in. One was dated 1620!! That's older than my vampire.

Chris, you are too funny. I couldn't figure out who welcome was! And congratulations on "A Daughter's Promise" - one sweet love story. I enjoyed it.

Okay, Celia. 100 is way too hot for me! I wish we coul send some water your way.

I miss you, Kathye. Congratulations on your release as well. Yep...those vamps love the no-sun effect on rainy days.

Thanks all of you for stopping by!
Mickey

Tanya Hanson said...

Hi, I'm a facebook friend. Congrats on your award and your book.

Best wishes,
~Tanya
www.tanyahanson.com

Linda LaRoque said...

Send us some rain down here in Texas. We're so dry.

Congratulations on your wonderful award. What an honor.

Hope you have oodles of sales on your book!

Linda
www.lindalaroque.com
http://lindalaroqueauthor.blogspot.com

M.Flagg said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M.Flagg said...

Hi Linda and Tanya. Thanks for visiting my blog and the good wishes. Oodles of sales right back at you!
Mickey

Unknown said...

Mickey --

I haven't had a chance to read your book yet, but I've been loving the reviews. You must have been on the Turnpike the same day we were on I-80 heading west toward PA...downpours and thick fog that made for scary driving conditions. Sorry to say we'll be away on the 25th and will therefore miss your book signing at the Fine Grind, but best of luck and enjoy the spotlight. Congrats on your award as well. Your achievements are only part of the reason I've always looked up to you as a mentor and substitute mom.

Love,
Soni