Friday, August 20, 2010

Have you ever pet a butterfly?

Someone said the butterfly was an angel. I tend to agree. And the feeling gave me such comfort, I won't even try to put it into words.

My vacation is at an end. I don't fully know what awaits Monday morning, but I'm sure it won't be pretty. With the unpredictability issue weighing heavily on my mind, I accepted a writer friend's invitation to spend the afternoon at her house. She's very earth-friendly, and as soon as I stepped onto her deck, the calm atmosphere had me. I stood by a pot of flowers on the deck rail, talking about my 'staycation' - the little writing I'd accomplished. 

Right then a beautiful butterfly flitted around me. It settled on a bright pink flower less than a foot away. I moved closer. It didn't stop sucking sweet nectar from the little flower. I leaned in to study its black body, it's beautiful wings with yellow spots and a shade of blue I've never seen as our conversation continued.

Don't ask me why, but I reached out. With one finger, I stroked it's wing - an incredible feeling like touching a silky fine feather. Instead of zooming away, it stayed perfectly still. I pet it again and again and again. Then, it opened it's wings to reveal more shades of blue. And I continued to pet it's wing. 

By now, all talk had stopped. My friend stared in disbelief. It left the flower and flitted around me once again, only to land by the next flower. Not quite sure I had experienced what I experienced, I reached out, sure it would fly away. But no. Once again, I pet it's wing, full of wonder and disbelief. 

Suddenly, her daughter's friend shouted, "Oooh! Me too!" The butterfly took off with two young girls chasing it as we stood there shocked. She said she'd never seen anything like this before. I had to agree. I've never been this close to a butterfly! The feeling? Well, it's not easy to describe. I felt every little silken bristle. I saw little white spots on his body and I swear I looked into his eyes. 


The inner me felt complete calm. As if time stood still or an out-of-body experience. It didn't seem real, yet three other people witnessed the moment.


I told my cousin about this last night. "I think it was an angel," she whispered.
"You think?"
"Oh yes... How many people do you know who have pet a butterfly?"
I couldn't answer. 
"Have you ever heard of anyone standing next to one or a butterfly allowing someone to touch it's wings?"
"No," I replied, still unable to explain how or why it happened.
"Wow. I'll bet this is a one in a million chance." I shrugged and smiled. She shook her head and smiled back. "Leave it to you to do something so strange. I still think it was an angel."
"I have no idea," was my reply, very soft, very tentative. 

The more I think about it, maybe she's right. I'll never know, but I will always remember how I felt when I touched a butterfly's wing and it didn't fly away. How serenity claimed me on a hot summer's day. I may not have had the fabulous, fun-filled vacation hoped for. But this simple unexpected experience made this one summer I'll never forget.







17 comments:

M.Flagg said...

When I shared this with my daughter Kara, she told me they die if you touch them!! Oh God! Did I kill the beautiful creature? I don't think so because this one took off as happy as a lark and stayed in the yard for a pretty long time. He landed on other flowers, too. The girls giggled and tried to catch him, but never did. He even hovered over flowers across her garden as the afternoon wore on. Guess I'll have to do some research now :)

Jenn Nixon said...

I don't think you can hurt them by touching them.

Nice story. Love when people really appreciate nature in all it's beauty!

xoxoxox

Kathye Quick said...

Lovely post, Mickey. I have never petted a butterfly, but was lucky enough to have one land on my shoulder.

There is a butterfly sanctuary near here. Maybe I cane try to!

Kathye Quick said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
M.Flagg said...

Hi Jenn. Thanks for the moral support. I read up on butterflies after I posted this. Nothing there about them dying, either. His little antennae were so cute :)

Some cultures believe they are the souls of loved ones who have died. My cousin thought it was my mother, but I had a distinct feeling it was a him not a her!

Missed you today! Hugs and kisses right back to you ~ Mickey

M.Flagg said...

Hi Kathye. I saw a list of butterfly sanctuaries in New Jersey on one of the sites and the species in our area. They are just so beautiful. And I read that a butterfly landing on your shoulder means good luck!!

Thanks for stopping by ~ Mickey

M.Flagg said...

One of my friends left an email about the post. In her culture, they believe (as I read) that the butterfly is the soul of someone who passed on. Another culture believes that if a black butterfly is trapped inside your house, there will be a death.

There are loads of superstitions and beliefs surrounding butterflies. Very interesting reading, don't you think?

Penny Rader said...

Awesome! I love that your cousin whispered that maybe it was an angel. Sounds like an amazing, reverent experience.

Sabrina Steyling said...

That was one of the most beautiful stories I've ever heard! Touching a butterfly is something I've wanted to do but have never had the opportunity to do. You, on the other hand, can say you have. I also believe this was an angel in disguise...

M.Flagg said...

Penny, you used the perfect word - reverent. This experience truly touched my soul.

Thanks for stopping by1

M.Flagg said...

Hi Sabrina! So nice to see you here! I believe it was an angel as well. I guess when we least expect it, angels make their presence in our life known.

Thanks for leaving a comment:)
~ Mickey

poe said...

Never wrote on a blog and the first message I wrote didn't show up. I'll try again. I don't believe you hurt the butterfly at all. I still say my first impression that it was and is an angel is correct. And nice to know you have an angel watching you. xoxox
Love your cousin,
poe

M.Flagg said...

I am thrilled you made it here!! Wow. Almost as awesome as petting the butterfly, my dear cousin. I'm so proud of you for leaving a post!

Love to you ~ Mickey

Anonymous said...

Oh Mickey, what a lovely story! We have butterfly bushes in our back yard that bring lots of these beautiful creatures near to us, but I've only had the fortune to capture their angelicness (is that a word ;-) on camera. To actually touch them as you have is I'm sure a feeling you will never forget. Thanks for sharing the experience with us!

M.Flagg said...

Hi MJ, so glad to see you here at my blog :) I'd love to see your photographs. Capturing them on camera must be a fun, creative as well. I'd probably just gawk and forget to take the picture all together. Have you posted them anywhere? I'd love to take a look!

Christine Clemetson said...

Beautiful story, Mickey.....

M.Flagg said...

Thanks, Chris. The natural beauty of a butterfly is an awesome sight to behold. This was an awesome experience!